Thursday, February 11, 2010

Quilt Night!

It's the second Thursday of the month.  Quilting night for me!!  I'm working my way through 14 baby quilts--one for each grand niece or nephew (including two on the way).  I'm way behind.  I have completed 4 and I'm working on two others.  Unfortunately, my nieces and nephews keep having children and getting me further and further behind.  I declare a moratorium on the next generation until I'm caught up.  Of course, that probably means no more children ever but oh well!

I'm not sure why or how I got so interested in quilting but I really enjoy it.  I'm too busy to get it out at home (which is why it is taking me so long to catch up).  So the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month, I wheel my sewing machine with quilting bag strapped on top out the door and over to the church.  There's a small group of women who come twice a month to work on various quilting projects and we have a great old-fashioned quilting group.

A few years ago, I started a couple of quilts through a quilting class at a great quilt shop:  Elaine's Quilt Block.  That got me confident enough to start a baby quilt when my niece Safire was expecting her first baby.  She's named after me (my sister and I gave our daughter's each other's name as the girl's middle names), so I thought it would be so nice to do a quilt for her.  I was somewhat overconfident.  I kept running into difficulties because I couldn't figure out how to do things so the quilt would sit for several months before I'd try to get a little more done.  My sister teased me I would finally get it done in time for the baby's high school graduation and quite frankly, she was probably spot on with her prediction.

Then my church started a quilting group for people interested in learning how to quilt.  Great idea!!  The problem is they kept working on these really cute quilts that taught various skills so I kept wanting to work on those, too.  I finally put those aside and concentrated on only the baby quilt.  Of course, by this time, my niece was expecting twins and her brother was expecting his first baby and I felt like I should do quilts for everybody.  WHY?  

So last summer, I finished the three quilts for Safire and a cute duck quilt for my youngest grand-nephew.  Four done!! Yippee--only eight more to go.  My quilting group at church started on the cutest paper piecing quilt that I thought would be perfect for another grand-niece--big sister to the youngest.  So now I'm working on that.  It's been a challenging quilt but it's getting close.  In the meantime, though, two more nephews announce babies are on the way.  WHAT?  You can't do that.  I'm not caught up.  By the time I get all of them done, it may be wedding quilts for my oldest grand niece and nephew.

But I'm having a good time and that's all that matters.  Safire's kids enjoy their quilts and I'm so glad.  Hopefully, I can start working a little faster and get more done and get caught up.  I'd really like to get the two newest arrival's quilts done before they make their appearance in late June and early August.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Preston and Amber Hennrich said...

Sorry to have added to your burden! Preston can be so inconsiderate like that. :)

Amber