Saturday, February 13, 2010

Opening Ceremonies!

I'm a winter sports fanatic.  I love the winter games.  It's not surprising since my daughter does figure skating.  It's hard to believe that 8 years ago on the second Friday in February, I was actually driving out to Rocky Mountain Raceway to pick up my 8 year old "Child of Light" after Salt Lake's Opening Ceremonies.  What a crazy time that was.

And how time flies.  Eight years ago, I was hoping to go to Vancouver (should they win the bid) and attend the games as a spectator.  Oh well!  I'll be glued to my TV for the next 16 days (except for the hours I have to be at work.  Darn!)  

My favorite sport is obviously figure skating.  I've really enjoyed following the Grand Prix events on Universal Sports so I know what programs are planned.  It's going to be fun to see who has a good skate and who falls apart.  

I also really enjoy watching the alpine events as well as the nordic events.  We went to Ski Jumping during the 02 games and it was a lot of fun.  The only events I'm not super interested in is hockey--men's or women's--until the medal rounds--and then only if the US is IN the medal rounds.  Curling is still way down on the list but if I understood the rules, maybe it would be more interesting.

Tonight's ceremonies were really good and classy.  I loved all the special effects with the lighting, etc.  It's too bad they had a little bit of an issue with the cauldron and I kind of thought the outdoor cauldron lighting was almost anti-climactic, but overall it was an enjoyable way to spend an evening.

So, what is your favorite winter sport?  Do you plan to watch the Olympics at all?

No comments: