Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wow! What a Week!

It's been quite the week. Last Sunday was Father's Day and nearly my entire family visited my parent's house--there are 39 of us and during the day, 37 made it to the house. It's a lot of fun and a lot of babies!! We've had 5 little boys born in the last 15 months.

So, we've had dinner and we're all visiting and talking. The teenage cousins are goofing off together. The next thing I know, I'm being told my son has hurt himself somehow. He's in the bathroom screaming because his eye hurts and he is flushing it with water. I can't get him to calm down. He's 6 feet tall and a very strong kid. I'm trying to get him to go to the hospital with me but he keeps yelling at me. He's hurt and he's scared so we call the paramedics. He calmed down for them. There were 4 or 5 of them surrounding him.

As it turns out, the bicycle tire blew up in his face and hit his eye. They checked him out and didn't see any obvious foreign objects or penetration of the eyeball but recommended that we have him checked out at the emergency room. So, his dad took him down. We have to go to the IHC Hospital in Murray because of insurance even though St. Mark's is less than a mile away. They got him in a room almost immediately and then the waiting began. However, they checked him out really thoroughly and his cornea was severely scratched. The doctor said "stippled".

However, while they were at the hospital, I got to help get the trailers packed for the 200 mile bike ride starting the next day.
hmmmm....... I'm not sure we made a good decision on who should go to the hospital. Anyway, we got the trailers packed up just before 10pm and they got home right about 10:30.

Up at 5:00 to get ready for a 6:30am departure. It was quite the sight to see nearly 35 men and boys all dressed in green t-shirts, wearing helmets and sitting astride bikes ready to go. Unfortunately, my boy got to watch and wave them off. He was sidelined until the eye doctor could do a follow up. Sunday night he was telling me there was no way he was going and Monday morning, I caught him trying to load his pack into the trailer with his helmet over his arm. So sorry!! Take everything back inside.

However, we were able to get an early morning appointment and he was cleared to ride--with wrap around sunglasses and eye drops. We ran around getting last minute things for him and caught up with the peloton in Ogden just in time for lunch. They rode 200+ miles over 3 days from Salt Lake City to Bear Lake. WOW!!!

That meant a girl's week at home. We went to see The Proposal with Sandra Bullock. It's pretty cute. Nothing great but an enjoyable evening out with my daughter. Then we came home and rented Twilight. I'd never seen it. It was a fun evening.

I got to spend some time getting caught up on my quilting. Two quilts totally finished this week with two more to finish before Sunday!! Getting close!!!!

Finished off the week with the whole family at Transformers! The action is intense and the story is good but it was pretty crude in places and I thought that was disappointing. We hit Robintino's for a late dinner and home. It was so much fun to spend the evening with my teens. They are so rarely around that family time tends to be Sundays only.

So, here's what I've done this week!!


No comments: