Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Full body work-out!

Once a week, I work out with a trainer at the gym. He's great! In the last few weeks, we've been focusing on total body work-outs. I feel absolutely wonderful after I'm done--about 3 hours after! LOL Right after I'm totally wiped out. But I can tell I'm getting stronger and that's a good thing.

So I just got back from another total body workout and I'm sitting here wiped out as usual. A great time to update the blog since the only body part that has to move is my fingers. Try this sometime--take a medicine ball, hold it high above your head with elbows as straight as possible and do 8 lunges down and 8 lunges back all while keeping the ball above your head--don't lower it! Follow that with some seated rows on a yoga ball, 8-10 squats on a bosu ball (I absolutely hate getting on and off those things and I can't do it without holding on), then 15 chest fly presses and finally one minute of planks. I really hate planks! For anybody who doesn't know what they are, it's similar to a push up but you are resting on both elbows and your toes and holding your body perfectly flat as long as you possibly can. Today's plank fun included holding as long as I could, dropping and resting for 5 seconds and then doing it again for a total plank time of 60 seconds. Now, do the whole routine again. And one more time. Believe it or not, I did all three reps in just over 20 minutes.

Now why is this important? Because my husband has found a triathlon he wants to participate in. To be fair, I guess I want to participate as well. Both kids are going to do it too. The second Saturday in September so that gives me plenty of time to get in shape. I'm hoping to be doing something physical twice a day--riding my bike to work, working out at the gym, running in the mornings and swimming once or twice per week so I can get myself to 400 yards without dying otherwise the bike and run portion of that tri is going to be awfully difficult.

My personal theme for the summer is work out. My daughter is supposed to be running 500 miles this summer to prepare for X-Country season in the fall. She's a really good runner--not so great on the bike or the swim. My son is a good biker and a good swimmer--not so great on the run. My husband loves to bike, used to be a good runner (hasn't done it for nearly 30 years), but really is weak in the water. I used to be a really good swimmer, I like biking so I think that will become better this summer but running is really difficult for me. I never liked to run distance ever. I doubt I've ever run more than one mile at one time in my life (I remember doing the mile in high school gym class and it just about killed me then). So, that portion of the triathlon has me rather nervous. Okay, a lot nervous.

So, here's to a summer filled with total body workouts and a successful tri in the fall!!

No comments: