Monday, December 13, 2010

Passwords

So, do you hate passwords?  I know we need them but I'm always forgetting them.  How many of you tend to use the same two or three passwords over and over again even though all the experts tell you that's not good security?  I know I do! 

We tried updating our cell phone account and changing some settings.  We didn't know the password.  We didn't know the password last time we tried to change it.  So, we keep resetting it and then we keep forgetting it.

As if remembering passwords wasn't difficult enough, what about all those stupid security questions?  My least favorite:  What is your favorite book?  Really?  Changes monthly, weekly and sometimes daily!  If I have to answer that one (some sites don't let you choose your security questions), I put Book of Mormon.  I know it's a title I'll never forget and it's always on my must read list.  If I choose, I like the ones such as What city were you born in?  Not a problem, it will never change since we're only born once.  What is your Dad's middle name works well too.  Another answer that doesn't change.  What was your favorite pet's name is one of those iffy questions.  Anything with favorite can be a problem.

How many of you have these silly security questions showing up on work related sites that other people need access to?  We have several advertising sites we use and more than one person has access and needs access.  Where were you born now takes on a totally different and challenging meaning.  Trying to keep track of where your co-workers were born is a great lesson in geography!

The reason I started thinking about it was I realized I wasn't sure what my password was to get into the blog to make a post.  However, I had my browser "remember" my password and I got in just fine.  Of course, I still dont' know what my password is which means I can only ever enter my blog from my computer but I can live with that (at least until my computer crashes at some future, unknown date--shhhhhh, that could be very soon considering how "mature" this computer is)!@!@!@!@!@!

1 comment:

Safire said...

I love that password remembering feature!