Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ending 2010--Looking ahead to 2011

It's been a busy and stressful year.  As it comes to a close, I must say I'm glad to see 2010 end.  I have high hopes for 2011. 

We've enjoyed a busy weekend celebrating the Saviour's birth, spending time with family on both sides.  It was great to visit with my parents and family on Christmas Day.  On Sunday, we were able to spend time with Carl's niece and nephews in Provo and we always enjoy our time with them.

This week I also played host to our traditional "Friend's" Christmas party.  The girls I grew up with started a tradition of a Christmas party when we were 11 years old.  In those teen-age years, we typically went caroling (and spent several weeks beforehand practicing and typing up the words).  As time went by it became a Christmas lunch or dinner.  As our circle grew with marriages and babies, it became a family tradition.  We celebrated the 36th anniversary of that first party this week with a pot luck dinner and hours of great visiting.  To my kids, this group is a second family.  It's amazing to keep friendships alive over decades.  We rarely see each other on a consistent basis anymore but we can spend an evening catching up and reminiscing old times together as if hardly any time has passed.  They are wonderful friends!  We miss those who can't make it from time to time but it's a great tradition.


So, looking forward to 2011.  My daughter graduates from high school!  WOW!  It doesn't seem possible and I can't quite figure out where the time has gone.  She's been accepted to two colleges--Miami University in Ohio and Utah State University.  We're waiting to hear from the U and BYU before making her final choice.  I'm excited for her but this year will bring a huge change as she will move out of her childhood home and take the first steps into her adult life.  I hope the year goes slowly until August!

My son will leave on his international trip in just 9 days.  He will spend 28 days learning about and serving the people of Nepal as well as enjoying some adventures trekking in the Himalayan foothills and areas in India.  Lucky boy!  (However, I want those 28 days to pass relatively quickly so I guess the slow part of the year has to go from February to August).  He's also applied to work at Camp Steiner in the Uintah's again this summer.  I'll have one coming home from a summer away as the other packs to leave for school. 

Carl & I will get to practice being empty nesters again this year as Spencer travels during the fall with his school and Caitlin is away.  I don't mind the temporary weeks of relaxed responsibility but I'm awfully glad when they come home again.

I hope everybody enjoys winding down the year and looking forward to the next one.

1 comment:

Safire said...

2011 looks like a big year for you guys! Wish we could be there with you to savor some of those last moments too. :)