Monday, January 12, 2009

The beginning of the week--or is it?

Oh, Monday!!

What is it about Monday? The alarm goes off and the grind begins. Time to get up and get moving. All the hustle and bustle of the beginning of the week. Or is it the beginning of the week?

Think of a calendar. How many people use a calendar that begins on Monday? I typically use a calendar where the week runs Sunday to Saturday. So is Monday the first day of the week or the 2nd day of the week? There are calendars that run Monday to Sunday, but they are not near as popular as the calendar which runs Sunday to Saturday.

My kids get a calendar for Christmas each year. I've never bought them one yet that starts the week on Monday. We have a family calendar hanging in the kitchen. It runs Sunday to Saturday. My planner calendar runs Sunday to Saturday.

So, which is it? The first day or second day of the week? We will often say Monday is the first day of the week because Sunday is still part of the weekend. Isn't it funny that our calendars don't reflect our speech?

So what do you prefer? Sunday to Saturday or Monday to Sunday? Take a look at the calendars you use and see if you even have a calendar which begins on Monday.

Something to think about at the beginning of the week? Or is it the beginning?

2 comments:

Safire said...

You know, I have had a calender that starts on Monday for a long time. It was nice when I was in school. And now, I'm just used to it. So I think of Monday as the beginning of my week.

Although all of my wall calenders start on Sunday.

Becksie said...

hi there, Now technically I dont know but in the early years of school I was taught sunday to saturday. I think the problem occurs Because we get the weekends off making the begging of our week Monday. However the weekend means the end of the week, The first end and the last. Like taking a bite from each end of a chocolate bar. Making sunday the beggining...does that make sence at all? After all why would the day before the end of the week be the end aswell. Therefore I believe that Sunday is the first end and saturday is the last end. I hope this makes sence.